January 28

About

Daniel E. Chase

Education

• Columbia University: Ed.M.
  • University of Connecticut: B.M.; B.S.; M.A.

I am a Connecticut native.  I grew up in Old Lyme where my love and talent in the performing arts was encouraged and supported.  After high school, I continued my education on a music scholarship at the University of Connecticut as an oboe major.  My professional studies were supplemented at the Cleveland Institute of Music and privately with members of the New York Philharmonic, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, New Haven Symphony, Hartford Symphony and Philadelphia Orchestra.  My professional life enabled me to realize dreams of performing on stages and venues throughout the world for critical and notable audiences. It is through performance art and the studio model that my paradigm for teaching evolved: one that focuses on students as individuals with unique challenges and strengths. In addition to performance, my love of history and analysis led me to pursue academic studies in early music and performance practice. In addition, my scholarly work focused on the music of Brahms, Mahler, and Ravel.

My life took a turn when I entered a classroom as part of my music education studies in my fourth year of college.  As my need for artistic expression was not being fully met in the “business” of music, I enrolled in the elementary education program at the Neag School at the University. In 2006, I completed an Ed.M. in organizational leadership and education reform at Teachers College, Columbia University.

In past summers, I have served as adjunct lecturer and visiting educator to both students and professional educators in Japan, India, and Bangladesh.  The summer of 2004, I served as director of a program of visiting educators in Izmir, Turkey.

Education has taken me from the inner cities of New York and Tokyo, to rural mountain villages of Northern India, to here in Woodbridge.  I believe that an environment that is safe, warm, nourishing, and relaxed is the foundation for a meaningful and memorable experience.  My expectations are high, yet attainable, and my desire is for every child to take risks in learning.  In a time when educational policy and methods are dynamic and changeable, I remain firm on one principle: excellence is our only choice.

2942564830_01a5174d1c